Warning:  Insect photo below.

We were expecting at least one more hornworm and, this afternoon, we got it.  Rachel noticed a leafless branch first and then spotted the worm an instant later.  It is unfortunate that her acuity for spotting the little beasties is so keen because they are not something she enjoys laying eyes on.

To be on the safe side, we inspected all of the remaining plants and, sure enough, discovered another nibbled branch with a hornworm clinging to the underside of its one remaining leaf.  I was annoyed (and Rachel grossed out) to find another hornworm but the good news is that we have been discovering them early, before they have had a chance to eat many leaves.

The cucumber plants continue to thrive but not every vine of every plant is happy.  At least one of the lemon cucumbers is suffering from bacterial wilt (I think) and one of the slicing cucumbers is afflicted as well.  All of the leaves on the affected vines are drooping and the developing fruit are starting to shrivel.  To cut our losses (literally), we amputated the wilted stems, untangled them from the cages, and tossed them out (even if we had a compost pile, this contaminated waste would not go into it).

We thought we had gotten all of the hornworms but a short time later, while harvesting a few cherry tomatoes (the only tomatoes that are currently ripe), we found a third one.  We hope that is the end for this generation of hawkmoths but we will remain vigilant even so.

Advertisements